Flimsy Sanity: Monday morning blues

Flimsy Sanity

In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Sunday, May 22, 2005

Monday morning blues

One of my favorite books is "Bartleby the Scrivener" by Melville. Anyway the gist of the story is that this company hires Bartleby as a clerk but he is totally insubordinate. Anything they tell him to do, he replies, "I'd prefer not to." They try firing him, but that doesn't even work.

Anyway, I kind of want to say, "I'd prefer not to" to the local school librarian who is moving the library. I volunteered most of the school year, but she is so incredibly lazy so I finally got fed up and quit. I don't mind helping someone who is trying, but lazy people tick me off. Now she offered to pay me to help on the move. I tried to tell her how to make the move go a little more smoothly, but she talked over me. She thinks money is an enticement to me, but the only reason I am going is to make the janitor's work easier. I'm going to do it the way I think it would be easiest. I don't care what she says, I don't need any money - I have more than I can spend as it is - the benefits of being easily satisfied.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home