Flimsy Sanity: Visiting Santa

Flimsy Sanity

In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Sunday, December 09, 2007

Visiting Santa


I entered the fun mall through the Senior Center door and I noticed a fund raising breakfast so my friend Joe (my rummaging buddy and adopted brother) and I forked over a couple bucks. They had the most wonderful Santa talking to the kids and giving presents and posing for pictures. A real white beard, some heft, and the sweetest disposition ever. He greeted lots of the little chips (they DO look like the old blocks) with "Boy, you have really grown since last year" and the kids were just aglow except for one little black-eyed girl who was scared.

Last night I had some brilliant observations about children being brought into the world because of insanity, but today it is mostly gone, except the lingering thought that romance is truly nuts because you even think the songs are about you (that is exactly what mania feels like). I think I have romance figured out. Many people mention that old people get to looking alike; the truth is that people look similar when they marry. The way it works is that people fall in love with their own image by seeing it in the mirror every day. Self interest is the formula for success in the animal kingdom, so it is a natural thing to love yourself. When you see another person with a lot of your features, you fall in love with them too. Look at engagement pictures and then tell me I am wacko.

If people were reasonable, they would realize that the world cannot support many more people but love, lust, and sex are crazy; however kids do look so cute sitting on Santa's lap.

3 Comments:

  • At 1:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think you're right about romance, Flimsy, except maybe young people are just starting into the seriousness of life and go looking for what's familiar, to start out with.

    By the time you get to our age, though, the same no longer holds true... i think it would be about right to say that when Dear One and i look at each other, we see the exact opposite!

    anon anan

     
  • At 6:14 AM, Blogger United We Lay said…

    The overcommercialization of the holiday has made me want to abandon it completely. I have no desire to decorate this year as Christmas is everywhere and the only place to escape the holiday commotion is in my own home.

     
  • At 6:30 AM, Blogger Flimsy Sanity said…

    Anaon: Young boys go for looks - fools!

    United: Consider Festivus. Here are the rules for my Dec 23 party:

    Smoking Rules:Nonsmokers ( Smokers must step outside) 11:00 am - 3:00 pm after that smoking is recommended (Non-smokers may go to the basement as smoke rises) 3:00 pm - whenever (Most of my neighbors smoke and I want them to feel at home).

    Gift exchange - No purchased gifts, the idea is to get rid of your unwanted stuff in the hopes that someone else's stuff might be more usable. Bring your offering unwrapped and we will pitch it upstairs and you MUST take something home. This should be the items last chance before the trash heap, i.e. the stuff left after a three day rummage sale. Absolutely no "I DON'T USE IT ANYMORE BUT IT IS STILL GREAT" thinking allowed.
    Children welcome until 3. Kids exchange will be in the blue room, adult exchange in the purple room.

    Party Etiquette: If you get bored, excuse yourself and say you have to go choose your gift and retire to the upper rooms where you will meet people of like mind.

    Noon meal: Comfort food. Everyone bring a small dish of whatever cheap food they grew up on. Don't bring more than what you can eat so that leftovers are not a problem. BYOB beverages, but I will have a little cheap beer here. My best friend and I are medicated so we don’t need to drink and will drive you home if needed.

    Airing of Grievances: Optional, but politeness is encouraged.

    Wrestling the hostess: Optional

     

Post a Comment

<< Home