Flimsy Sanity: Cheap Food from the World's Worst Cook

Flimsy Sanity

In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Thursday, December 06, 2007

Cheap Food from the World's Worst Cook

I have a couple recipes that are easy and edible, plus cheap.

Spicy Dip
Get a can of diced tomatoes with green chilies and drain them. Mom would save the juice but I don't know what to use it for. Mix in sour cream until it is about the color of pepto bismol. Great with tortilla chips.

Flavored Rice
Fry 1 cup rice and large chopped onion in a tablespoon of butter until rice turns a light brown instead of white (brown rice is better for you, but this is fast and frying it changes the flavor in a great way). Add a scant teaspoon of chicken bouillon (cubes or loose)and 2 cups water. I also have used onion dip (the dollar stuff) and the part packets from Top Ramen noodles (which is too strong for the usual recipe to my mind so I always have part packets around). A great addition is chopped left over turkey or chicken which makes a great hotdish, but I eat it just plain.

Ramen noodles excellente:
Don't add quite as much water as they say, add a teaspoon of butter, and about a half cup of frozen broccoli pieces and cook under low heat until noodles are soft. Really good, I think.

Delicious Warm Breakfast
Cook up the huge batch of old fashioned oatmeal as per directions on the back of the box. (I like the old fashioned type better than the instant because the texture is better). Cool and refrigerate as it stays good for a long time and long cooking oatmeal is a pain to make fresh every day.
Anytime you want a delicious breakfast or soothing supper, chop up an apple in bite size pieces (I use the locally grown Haralsons and leave the peel on) and sprinkle with sugar and cinammon and microwave for a minute. Top with oatmeal and then microwave for another minute. Sugar to taste. I used to add milk to oatmeal, but actually I like it better without.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I saved the juice and threw it into some vegetarian chili - yumm. FSanity

     

Post a Comment

<< Home