Flimsy Sanity: No pity for orphans

Flimsy Sanity

In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Friday, February 24, 2006

No pity for orphans

I try not to talk about my life as even I find it dull. I call my mother only after the pangs of guilt get so strong that they overshadow my dread of her pronouncements. Today was that day. Ugh.

Maybe I am wrong, but I've often thought that malnurtured people react one of two ways: either they become aggressive and mean (such as a bully) or if they are a gentle soul, they passively endure until they become mentally ill. Now let me get off my soapbox and give my dogs extra treats because they never disappoint me.

5 Comments:

  • At 6:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dogs are the best comforters and you are one strong woman.

     
  • At 8:58 PM, Blogger Neil Shakespeare said…

    LOL "passively endure until they become mentally ill". Love that. Akin to the line "most men lead lives of quiet desperation". Can't remember who said that. Anyone?....

     
  • At 7:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Neil Shakespeare, I think it's usually attributed to Henry David Thoreau.

    Flimsy, dogs are better'n penicillin and antibiotics and massages. As for families, I took the pruning shears to mine decades ago and now love them wholeheartedly across great distances, something that always hit a snag when I tried it "close up and personal".

    In fairness to them, I have to say they are probably relieved.

    You've a spine of steel, flexible enough to bend and sway gracefully, but perfectly capable of finding vertical hold again.

     
  • At 12:09 PM, Blogger R J Adams said…

    Dogs or cats are the best therapy, although I'm fortunate enough to have a good wife to stroke as well!
    I have the exact same problem with my mother, nothing is ever good enough, I sinned by marrying four women, and sinned by not marrying one. Thankfully, she has now withheld her phone number from me, though still very occasionally rings me to abuse. Natural mother, or not, it can make little difference. Try to be philosophical about it or it will drive you insane.

     
  • At 8:44 PM, Blogger Shephard said…

    Dogs and cats never disappoint. :)
    ~S

     

Post a Comment

<< Home