Flimsy Sanity: For Old Farts

Flimsy Sanity

In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Friday, December 02, 2005

For Old Farts


* "All the problems we face in the United States today can be traced to an unenlightened immigration policy on the part of the American Indian"
*"I've upped my standards. Now, up yours."
*"Assuming either the Left Wing or the Right Wing gained control of the country, it would probably fly around in circles."
Pat Paulsen quotes (American Comedian, Songwriter and Perenniel Politician, 1927-1997)

Just not that many Pat Paulsen quotes on the net. He was so very funny poking fun at politicians - he would keep his deadpan expression while using "outright lies, double talk and unfounded attacks on my challengers". So my young, little chickens - you may have Jon Stewart and Homer ("If you don't like your job, you don't strike. You just go in every day and do it really half assed. That's the American way") Simpson, but Pat Paulsen's humor was unique and wonderful because it was timely, absurd, and pricked the inflated ego balloons of the pompous.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Flimsy, yep, I qualify as an "old fart" -- I still have my "Paulsen for President" poster. The man was wickedly funny and a genius at leaving foes on bloody stumps before they realized anything had happened. One of my heroes!

     
  • At 10:53 AM, Blogger Shephard said…

    I do remember him...(and I'm only 41)... sort of a Ben Stein like delivery, but obviously not as right-wing. lol ~S

     

Post a Comment

<< Home