Flimsy Sanity: Is it Human Nature?

Flimsy Sanity

In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Is it Human Nature?

I googled "kiss up, kick down" out of curiosity but all the references were to Bolton as though he were some unique example. I have experienced it at every level I have ever been in - from school to work (both white and blue collar) to most social interaction. At school, children suck up to the popular ones - the cheerleaders and the sports stars and bully the misfit. At work, people bitch about conditions but when the boss comes around, no one says a thing, but instead hang on his (usually) every word. I noticed early on that the person with the lowest wage gets the most duties. I think that is why a rich and/or famous person and a poor person can never get a fair trial. It is why the deaths of tens of thousands of poor people do not interest us. It is why at meetings people never hear what people socially below them say.

My sister and I used to laugh at how my aunt's voice would change when she talked to someone she thought was more prestigious, but if you watch humans, you seldom see a person who treats everyone equally. We are no different than hyenas in a pack. For an interesting view on stress related to social standing, read Massimo Pigliucci's Essay that says The best single predictor of heart problems is indeed stress, but of an entirely different and still widely ignored type: the stress that comes not from doing too much or being under self-imposed pressure, but from being ordered around with little or no control over your destiny.

5 Comments:

  • At 12:07 PM, Blogger Shephard said…

    I think it's def. pack mentality. But I wonder if it isn't more about leadership than human nature? It's certainly prevalent enough to be considered part of human nature. But it changes so easily with good leadership. But good leadership is less prevalent. (big jump here) I blame the churches and organized religions who teach division instead of tolerance, and schools... who teach math instead of life skills. ~S

     
  • At 1:39 PM, Blogger Flimsy Sanity said…

    I wish it were some kind of survival of the smartest or the cream rises, but I think it is the kisser/kicker who is most adept. Humans are sheep - witness how they go nuts for fads. Also look at how few leaders are worth admiring.

     
  • At 6:18 PM, Blogger R J Adams said…

    "Baaaaaaa."

     
  • At 7:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My dad suggested: 1. Never hassle those at the level below you in the workplace. They don't have the power to solve your problems or their own, and there's no reason to add to their misery. 2. Don't bother hassling your peers in the workplace. They are no better off than you, and if they had a plan for bettering things, they'd be using it for themselves 3. Always hassle UP the ladder, biting butts as you go. The guy up there is the only one who has the authority to solve the problem or let you solve it. If he fires you, you're well out of it. If he listens, you can do something for yourself and categories 1 and 2.

    Always made sense to me. Of course, it led to a strange work career, but I DID manage to leave teethmarks in some fairly interesting bottoms.

     
  • At 6:48 AM, Blogger Flimsy Sanity said…

    Xristim The few times I defied authority, I suffered.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home