Flimsy Sanity: Eric Sevareid prayer

Flimsy Sanity

In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Eric Sevareid prayer

Eric Sevareid was a national newscaster from my little home state and always gave thoughtful, insightful commentaries after the national news. This is his prayer titled (I think) "I Want a Few Friends Left at the End":

Release me from the craving to straighten out everybody's affairs. With my vast store of wisdom, it seems a pity not to use it all. But thou knowest, Lord, I want a few friends left at the end.

Keep me from the fatal habits of thinking I must say something on every subject and on every occasion.

Seal my lips on my aches and pains, they are increasing and my love of rehearsing them is becoming sweeter as the years go by.

Teach me the glorious lesson that occasionally it is possible for me to be mistaken.

Keep my mind from the recital of the endless details. Give me wings to get to the point. Help me extract all possible fun out of life. There are so many funny things around us, I don't want to miss any of them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home