Flimsy Sanity: These 80 year old women wear me out

Flimsy Sanity

In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

These 80 year old women wear me out

Went to help my neighbor, Astrid (Isn't that a pretty name?) with her garden. She is 85, in remission for cancer, and might have osteoporosis because she is all bent over. I can't believe how she works. She has a small shovel because she cannot lift much, but that little spade goes twice as fast as mine. I also pick chokecherries for the winery with Claudine who is close to 80 if she isn't already. I would be ready to quit each day a lot earlier than she would - she has a goal of 20 gallons a day and we stick to it. Always considered myself a good worker, but I might have to re-evaluate my grading criteria. Might be a little on the lazy side. Take Astrid's and my gardens for example. Her gardening is neat, orderly and planned. I, on the other hand, am using the Ruth Stout method. Pile lots of leaves to use as mulch and let the worms do the work of rototilling. The most work I did was dragging the neighbors bags of leaves down the alley.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home