Flimsy Sanity: The Southern Brain

Flimsy Sanity

In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

The Southern Brain

As a pacifist I believe most wars are a big mistake. I believe we should have let the South secede and our country would have benefited. Sure, the slaves were freed but it took another hundred years before racist treatment became unlawful (although any visit to the deep south will still sicken any egalitarian). The South fought bitterly against the passing of the Civil Rights Bill and democracy was raped with poll taxes, literacy tests a lawyer would have trouble passing,and intimidation of the black voter . They are almost totally responsible for the Equal Rights Amendment
not being passed
because the mentality that could accept owning other humans is a mentality that is antithetical to democracy - the idea that people are equal. It has been my experience in my many trips to Texas that all the low-paying dirty jobs are done by African Americans and Mexicans. The churches do not seem to be integrated from my observation so I have no doubt the faith based initiatives are a bad idea especially in the South.

The South is a backward place. In education the South makes up the lowest ranks. In the 44 standards used to judge the liveability of a place (things such as crime, high school graduation, per capita personal income, median household income, expenditures for education as a percent of all state and local government expenditures, books in public libraries etc.) the South again fills the bottom rungs. The Southern states (except for Texas) all receive more federal funds than they pay in taxes. The South claims it has the most advantageous climate for industry but that is because Unions are not allowed. Arkansas based Walmart mirrors the southern view on employees.

So my question is this. Why do the Southern Republican states get to dictate our nations agenda? Why do we go to the South to get so many of our Presidents when the area is responsible for pulling down the nation's standard of living average? In my lifetime we have had Johnson, Carter, Clinton, Bush and Brush.

4 Comments:

  • At 1:14 PM, Blogger Peacechick Mary said…

    You are absolutely correct on this one. I live in the South and it is truly segregated and racist; however, the largest number of hate crime groups are in California. Maine seems to be the only place where there aren't any. I hope we can screen future Presidents for bias agains mankind in general.

     
  • At 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Aha! I knew if I kept your RSS feed active you would eventually return. What took you so long?
    Southern presidents may be one reason this nation is in the state it's in. The other reason, aggravated by the first, is a preponderance of over-dogmatized "Christians". This is supposed to be a secular nation, but it is all a pretence. It's not just southern politicians who pay lip service to religion, it's all of them.
    Yours was always one of my favorite blogs. I hope you're not away so long again.

     
  • At 5:28 AM, Blogger Flimsy Sanity said…

    RJ. Thanks for not giving up on me. I have no excuse for goofing off these long months. I guess I felt I had nothing new to say that wasn't already said better by better writers.

     
  • At 6:07 AM, Blogger Flimsy Sanity said…

    peacechick: Love your little armed chick - too cool.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home