Flimsy Sanity: Rummaging around town

Flimsy Sanity

In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Friday, May 26, 2006

Rummaging around town


I had my first conversation with my uptight, moralistic, Bible thumping bully neighbor. She collects aluminum pitchers so I gave her one I found this weekend at a garage sale and despite my better judgment I agreed to a cup of coffee. As a little background, what little I know about these neighbors I don't like. The day after they moved in, the cops showed up at my door saying someone had complained about my dogs barking. I assumed it was them (and like the mother of a brat, I don't think they are obnoxious at all). They also wrote a letter to the editor complaining that smoke from one area in the restaurant permeated the non-smoking area. And another letter that teenagers played their radios too loud. Anyway, in a nutshell, they are sanctimonious prigs that are always in church but totally intolerant.

At our little encounter, Mrs. Prig starts talking about how children don't study the Holocaust and history is repeating itself as Moslems want to exterminate Christians. (Ever notice how Christians always feel persecuted). I never argue so I just said I needed to get back to my work and got the hell out of there. I am going to send her an anonymous photocopy of information on how Bush is like Hitler. Dave Barry says that to compare your opponent to Hitler is the heavy artillery in an argument.
p.s. I wished I had not spent the dime on the pitcher.

4 Comments:

  • At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Flimsy, these people must be stamped out with a cookie-cutter! Lots of 'em, and all sounding exactly alike!

    If you have occasion to talk to Mrs. Prig again, you might mention that you're aware of at least one Apologetic Apprentice Christian who is in favor of exiling XianXrazies like her and allowing the faith to rebuild from scratch with some reference to its foundations. As Thomas Jefferson illustrated in excising all the miraculous and divinity-based elements of the New Testament, the moral and ethical lessons of Jesus are very sound, whether or not one believes in any kind of divinity.

    Alas, right-wing evangelical Christianity has become punitive, rather than kindly. It really should change its name. I don't think Jesus would care to claim it in its present form.

     
  • At 5:37 PM, Blogger Peacechick Mary said…

    Anyone who collects aluminum pitchers has to be a wee crazed. I have a relative who is the same way and that is so difficult to deal with during any family gatherings. These are indeed hard times to mingle. Good for you getting out of there.

     
  • At 3:33 AM, Blogger Al DeVito said…

    My sympathies.

     
  • At 9:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Best regards from NY! Www lesbians com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home