Flimsy Sanity: Gas Prices

Flimsy Sanity

In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Friday, September 02, 2005

Gas Prices

When I went to college, we were required to take a basic Economics course. I don't remember anything (I short term learned so I could pass the tests) but I remember the book was fat and the subject complex. We are told the cause of gas prices is nothing but the most simple economic principle taught to fourth graders - nothing more than supply and demand. However from recent general reading I know that US energy policy was determined by the energy providers (in secret meetings), that two oil men are at the top US positions (known for slippery financial dealings like insider trading and moving Halliburton business offshore to avoid taxes), and that gas prices rose rapidly rather than gradually as they would have if a shortage developed. (Except for the hurricane's impact) Man I wished I would have stayed alert for the section on manipulating markets.

I am well aware that other countries pay more for gas, but that is because they add huge taxes onto gas prices. Our price increase is not any benefit for our country. Just not very patriotic to my mind, even if you do wear a flag pin on your lapel.

3 Comments:

  • At 3:48 PM, Blogger Flimsy Sanity said…

    I should walk more and actually could exist without a car except for trips to see family. My resolve is to do so, but we'll see if that lasts longer than my vows to eat less starchy foods.

    I'm afraid I just think most things Bu$h and Chaney do are conspiracies. Better put on my aluminum foil beanie.

     
  • At 8:23 PM, Blogger R J Adams said…

    Monday, the hurricane struck the Louisiana coast. Within twelve hours gas prices were over $3, and in some areas over $6. Who gets the extra - certainly not the gas stations. It's the oil companies. Europeans pay more for gas, but as you rightly state, the majority is tax. Americans pay about the same amount in taxes, but in other ways. I think economics is a bit like gardening. They say you need 'green fingers' to grow plants, but in fact all you need is a modicum of good sense and the ability to keep it simple. You are right about 'supply and demand'. Scare people into believing there is a shortage and they'll pay twice as much for the product. There has been so much scaremongering going on over gasolene in the last few months that they could get away with charging $6 a gallon one day after Katrina struck. Since GWB has been in power the oil companies have made huge, obscene profits from his policies. But, of course, that's the reason he was put in the top job. Katrina was just a bonus for them.

     
  • At 11:41 AM, Blogger Flimsy Sanity said…

    I've noticed that the best paid jobs in my town are those that make money off of people's troubles and fears - Doctors, lawyers, morticians. Carpetbaggers that take advantage of a bad situation are common - just wait till the shoddy contractors show up to help rebuild. (Sigh). What is morality compared to money.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home