Flimsy Sanity: Factoid

Flimsy Sanity

In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Friday, September 02, 2005

Factoid

Mental and behavioural disorders due to cannabinoids, cocaine, hallucinogens, opiods, sedatives and hypnotics, and volatile solvents killed 1,789 people. Those due to alcohol killed 32,622. Nationmaster has statistics and graphs about the entire world - NationMaster is a vast compilation of data from such sources as the CIA World Factbook, United Nations, World Health Organization, World Bank, World Resources Institute, UNESCO, UNICEF and OECD. Great fodder for your next debate, I added it to my Reference Favorites. (p.s. I don't really understand what mental and behavioural disorders means and why they will kill you, but whatever - who cares if you are vague as long as you can quote some statistic.)

1 Comments:

  • At 4:00 PM, Blogger Flimsy Sanity said…

    I chose the ID Flimsy Sanity because I would have never guessed I would ever have my ability to think logically compromised and I found out how fragile sanity really is. I've also had a mental breakdown (I hate using psychiatric terms and like "mental break" more) when the stress from repeated robbings of my beehives made me eventually go off the deep end. I had no support system to help me and just overloaded my brain looking for a solution.

    The farmer quote is really interesting. I think lots of people think that way, but few are tactless enough to say it outloud. How different is it than moving factories to Mexico and then moving them again to China where it was even cheaper.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home