Flimsy Sanity: The New Fad

Flimsy Sanity

In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Sunday, February 10, 2008

The New Fad

Lately, I have seen all kinds of references to six word memoirs, so I can only assume that is the latest craze. I like the idea of a six word story, but not memoirs, probably explains why I hate autobiographies. If you have to be stuck listening to people talk about themselves, this at least condenses it. Anyway, this is from NPR.
Once asked to write a full story in six words, legend has it that novelist Ernest Hemingway responded: "For Sale: baby shoes, never worn."
In this spirit of simple yet profound brevity, the online magazine Smith asked readers to write the story of their own lives in a single sentence. The result is Not Quite What I Was Planning, a collection of six-word memoirs by famous and not-so-famous writers, artists and musicians. Their stories are sometimes sad, often funny — and always concise. A few:
After Harvard, had baby with crackhead.- Robin Templeton
Catholic school backfired. Sin is in!- Nikki Beland
Savior complex makes for many disappointments.- Alanna Schubach
Almost a victim of my family - Chuck Sangster
Fifteen years since last professional haircut -Dave Eggers

3 Comments:

  • At 1:14 PM, Blogger ryk said…

    Heck, I'll give it a try. (6)

    Executive privilege; Constitution does not apply. (6)

    Religion was invented to justify genocide. (6)

    Pay attention America! Democracy is dying. (6)

    This is harder than it looks. (6)

    I'll stop now, I suck anyway. (6)

     
  • At 1:48 PM, Blogger ryk said…

    Oh wait, I have another one. (6)

    Intelligent design; theology masquerading as science. (6)

     
  • At 4:01 AM, Blogger Flimsy Sanity said…

    ryk: Oh dear, I've created a monster.(6)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home