Flimsy Sanity: Compassionate Conservatives

Flimsy Sanity

In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Compassionate Conservatives

A recent study said that conservative and liberal brains are wired differently and that liberals can deal with change better than conservatives. I think the difference is more evident in attitude towards authority especially if it wears a uniform. I have found that there is an easy way to check out the political leanings of a new aquaintance. I just ask them what they think of Rodney King and most conservatives think he deserved the beating. Joe Darby, the Abu Ghraib whistleblower is hated by the conservatives. The conservatives defended Lt. Calley, Ollie North and Reagan so I question their self-characterization of law and order proponents when they excuse some criminals.

I do believe combining the terms "compassionate conservative" is the biggest scam ever, because for decades when progressives defended the downtrodden, they were ridiculed as "bleeding heart liberals". Show me where someone spends their money and I will show you their priorities. More and more military spending and more and more prisons does not say compassion to me. I think the only defense for a draft is that you get a cross section of people to offset the monolithic mindset that permeates the military (and police) and maybe a few more whistleblowers will get inducted. It takes a warped mind to defend torture.

The opposite of empathy is disgust and I believe the people of New Orleans, victimless drug users, Moslems, Mexicans, feminists, oh hell, lots of people disgust them.

6 Comments:

  • At 4:12 PM, Blogger United We Lay said…

    Excellent analysis. My family is conservative and I am not. They tend to handle change badly and find my adaptability frightening.

     
  • At 7:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    its a scam. damn right.

     
  • At 7:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think the conservatives (despite their flag waving) hate freedom. Anything one does with one's own body is the very definition of freedom - no reason baggy pants or drug use or not wearing a motorcycle helmet should be against the law as long as your freedoms do not infringe on someone else's rights. They are into control - that is why they support wiretapping and such.

     
  • At 9:08 AM, Blogger liberated psych said…

    Control of the masses maybe, but freedom for the haves and have mores. Who would ever believe that control of the Food and Drug Administration would be turned over to the drug companies?

     
  • At 4:57 PM, Blogger United We Lay said…

    Anon,
    I disagree with the helmet thing. If I have wear a seatbelt, they have to wear a helmet.

     
  • At 5:19 AM, Blogger Flimsy Sanity said…

    United: I hate the seatbelt law also. More states are outlawing the baggy pants (which started in prisons because belts are not allowed). I think they should outlaw tying a noose around your neck with a scrap of fabric.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home