Flimsy Sanity: My Dad

Flimsy Sanity

In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Saturday, June 04, 2005

My Dad

My dad is old and will not be around very much longer. Before he dies, I want to thank him for passing on his ways. He has always been a peace-loving man, and finds few fights worth the stress. Instead dad will smile and agree and then do things his own way - my brothers inherited that.

In his total life, Dad is most proud of having been a soldier. He wanted to volunteer in World War II but his brother who was already serving advised against it - saying "You won't win this one by yourself." Some time later dad was drafted and went to the army as a tank mechanic. His friendships formed in the service were life-long and his most emotional experience was participating in the liberation of a concentration camp. He could not talk about his war experiences without mentioning it and weeping.

All his life, he has been an early riser so much so that during basic training, he would be dressed and waiting when they would finally blow reveille. Because he is up at 3 or 4 o'clock, he went to bed so early that he has never seen a Seinfeld or Home Improvement episode. Relatives who went on vacations with him never did it more than once because he believed in not only an early start but also in not stopping for anything but gas. I think a great deal of credit for the durability of my parents marriage is due to the fact that Dad is a morning person and Mom is up late at night and they actually don't spend many hours together.

Although he did not read much, Dad had an innate intelligence and was incredibly handy and could fix most things. When we were young, he was always trading old used cars for other old used cars, so I can only assume he liked variety. I know Dad is very smart because he is so witty and they always go together. He liked to stop for a beer when he was young and people usually had a good time around him.

Dad always had a generous nature. As children, we loved when he got groceries because he always bought some candy, while Mom was always trying to save money. When I went into bees, he bought me a forklift, even though I thought appropriate technology for my size was a cheaper device. Sometimes he would send a card and you always could tell it was not picked out casually. When I was so stressed trying to get all my queen raising work done that I wasn't even eating, Dad drove down from North Dakota to Texas with 6 packages of bacon and 4 dozen eggs. He washed dishes but he didn't know to use soap. I never had the heart to tell him that I already had more than I could handle when he built me more little mating units. My dad will always be my hero.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home