Flimsy Sanity: This strikes me as delusional

Flimsy Sanity

In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Thursday, April 19, 2007

This strikes me as delusional

"University officials announced Thursday that Cho's victims would be awarded their degrees posthumously."

My sister keeps her husband's voice on the answering machine even though he died over a year ago. I would never tell her (and she doesn't read my blog) but I think that is kind of creepy and macabre. My mom's neighbor visited her husband's grave every day for over a year and a half. Everyone grieves in their own way and that is their right, but an institution pretending someone is not dead by awarding them degrees doesn't strike me as an honor but instead as a reminder to the families of what was not to be. It seems especially cruel.

4 Comments:

  • At 8:35 AM, Blogger Bart said…

    I see it more as a way to tribute them. They have to be careful, though, in how they present the awarding of degrees. That's where it'll get screwy.

    Somehow, this made me think of The Stand (which SciFi channel just showed this Sunday) when Tom Cullen starts crying because he can't remember what Nick looked like.

     
  • At 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree.
    And just what are they being rewarded FOR? Dying?

    I understand the thought behind it and all, but it doesn't really seem thought through enough.

    Maybe it's sort of a guilty reflex by the school authorities as a response to all the criticism for their handling of it... maybe.

     
  • At 11:56 AM, Blogger Peacechick Mary said…

    I think the school is a bit bloated in their opinion of themselves. They could set up a fund or some special program for students who survive gun maniacs.

     
  • At 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Totally screwed. A completely empty gesture serving no purpose, other than to prolong parental agonies. Someone suggested this with no forethought whatever.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home