Flimsy Sanity: This is almost too evil to be believed

Flimsy Sanity

In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Friday, December 09, 2005

This is almost too evil to be believed

Static Brain has an entry on the use of orphans and retarded children as guinea pigs. When I first read this awhile back, I discounted it, but then you start seeing it over and over. My brother, a chemical engineer who had done contract work for several big drug companies, casually told me that they regularly give new drugs to street people to see what effects they have. I questioned him about it and then he wouldn't say anything more. Maybe we are not that far from the Tuskegee syphilis experiments or all the experiments done to prisoners that was described in the book Acres of Skin: Human Experiments at Holmesburg Prison : A True Story of Abuse and Exploitation in the Name of Medical Science . Many years ago, I was reading Adelle Davis's book Let's Eat Right to Keep Fit and she talked about how they studied the effects of starvation by starving conscientious objectors. The later editions of this book removed the passage.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Flimsy, each time I think I've learned something that surely represents the nadir of possible human behavior, something like this comes to my attention. So much for our "Christian nation" and its looking after its poorest and most vulnerable! Yike!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home