Flimsy Sanity: One of the Nicest Jobs was Digging Ditches

Flimsy Sanity

In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Sunday, June 12, 2005

One of the Nicest Jobs was Digging Ditches

My neighbors are a soft-spoken polite father and son team that are gentlemen in every sense of the word. They talked so quietly that if they ever reprimanded me, I never heard it. Gave me the easy job of walking behind the reel and digging a hole to pull up the cable whenever we would stop. Their nephew had the hard job of digging a hole over the existing cable, but I only had to dig where the plow had already gone through and loosened the soil. The nephew (how come I can't remember his name when I enjoyed his company so much) dug these perfect little holes and removed the minimum of dirt - I don't know how he did it. I liked this job very much and we had some very good laughs but I don't look good in a hardhat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home