Flimsy Sanity: Do It Yourself Religion

Flimsy Sanity

In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Thursday, May 01, 2008

Do It Yourself Religion

Fantasy bores me. When I was a kid, I tried reading Lord of the Rings and couldn't make it past the first chapter. For the same reason, science fiction and romance books never appealed to me. It disappointed me that Harry Potter books were so popular while books on interesting things like biology, history or useful survival skills never gain cult status no matter how fascinating they are. When students are required to pick a term paper topic, most will pick a fantasy - witchcraft, UFO's, Bermuda Triangle, ghosts, Loch Ness Monster, interpretating dreams. Humans just seem to crave illusions. I particularly like a statement I once overheard: "I grew up in an alcoholic family so I desire reality based thinking."

If I wanted to listen to people's fantasies, I would be noble and listen to the ramblings of some homeless schizophrenic that actually needs a friend to listen to bullshit that just will never make sense or be a possibility. Because of all the Wright brouhaha (Obama's "Dean Scream"), I was curious enough to watch Bill Moyer's interview. Ten minutes into it, I was done. All I saw is someone who loves attention and preens. Do all preachers dream of becoming famous and that is why they will not get off the stage/dais/altar? Power lust was evident in his statement that he admires the fact that Louis Farrakhan can attract a million people to march. Every preacher I have ever asked (two) yearned for a transfer to a place with a bigger congregation. I think so many rail against Hollywood because they have audience envy. Wright is a celebrity now and he seems mighty pleased.

From a commenter on Metafilter:
I'll agree that religion, any religion, is damn silly, but I fail to see how Obama's religion is particularly worse than Bush's "God told me to invade Iraq" nonsense. As for Wright, I'm not a "supporter" because I consider all priests/shamans/witchdoctors/preachers/televangelists/etc to be equally skeezy con artists. Wright == Robertson == Mullah Omar == Pope Benedict == Ayatollah Khamenei == Jimmy Swaggart == your local neighborhood preacher.


I also agree with Wage Laborer's post about Wright and the conservative darling Moon. The Daily Show played a clip of (minister to multiple presidents) Billy Graham bitching about jews. Rapture Ready John Hagee is batshit insane and endorsed by McCain, Tom Delay and plenty of Republicans. The infallible pope was a former Nazi and was responsible for burying information about priest molesting for as long as possible (though I hear he gives an awesome speech).

Why would anyone put their faith on a stranger's illusions when it is such a breeze to imagine your own? Come on now folks, get busy and fancy your own alternate reward world but give the world a break and keep it to yourself.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:38 PM, Blogger Graeme said…

    I've never been a fantasy fan either, although I read "the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy" and found it pretty good.

    I remember sitting through a pastor's sermon about how he "felt" the calling and realized that religion was all bullshit. Luckily, i was quite young.

    If I wanted to listen to people's fantasies, I would be noble and listen to the ramblings of some homeless schizophrenic that actually needs a friend to listen to bullshit that just will never make sense or be a possibility.

    that's a sweet line

     
  • At 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The power here doesn't come from Wright, or even Hagee, or Graham. It comes from the media. I found Moyer's interview with Wright entertaining, and informative of the man, but the mass media's obsession with him and his sound bites smacks of a deliberate attempt to pervert the course of the election.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home