Flimsy Sanity: Documentary on child evangelist

Flimsy Sanity

In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Monday, February 19, 2007

Documentary on child evangelist

Marjoe is re-released on DVD. Winner Academy Award - Best Documentary, 1972 but not shown in the Bible Belt. The writer, Sarah Kernochan, discusses it and also evangelism in general.
I hope people of other faiths will understand where the power of the evangelical movement has come from, understand the lure of the music and the promise of a life-altering spiritual experience. I hope they will see, too, that this ecstatic union with Christ is also … sometimes … commandeered by ruthless and greed-fueled “servants of God” -- the ministers who have, since the year Marjoe was made, erected a formidable enterprise sprawling over the media, corporate America, and the Beltway, with no notion of stopping until the United States becomes one big mega-church.

3 Comments:

  • At 1:46 PM, Blogger Omnipotent Poobah said…

    I'd say "ruthless and greed-fueled servants of God” were around long before Marjoe. Billy Graham was already middle aged when Marjoe temporarily took over the reigns of Charlatan-in-Chief.

     
  • At 4:10 PM, Blogger Peacechick Mary said…

    My neighbor dropped by to invite me to visit his church saying it was the fastest growing church in our county. That alone was the best reason for me not to go other than I thought I would have to listen to utter rubbish.

     
  • At 6:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "....I hope they will see, too, that this ecstatic union with Christ is also … sometimes … commandeered by ruthless and greed-fueled “servants of God” --"

    The one wrong word here is "sometimes". The "ecstatic union with Christ" is a self-induced fallacy, and all those who make money from it are ruthless and greed-fueled. I guarantee not one is sincere.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home