Flimsy Sanity: PTSD

Flimsy Sanity

In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

PTSD

I was watching CSpan this morning (my life is a yawn) and Timothy Murphy a republican from Pennsylvania was speaking. He was trying to blame PTSD of returning soldiers on the people in US who do not support the war. I've run into this theory before. One time when I was talking with my psychiatrist I said that the reason so many Vietnam veterans had mental health problems was due to the prolonged stress of not knowing who was friend and who was enemy. He said the reason they were mentally ill was that they were not welcomed home. Now is the time for me to insert the reference to a piece I read that soldiers in combat don't concern themselves very much with the folks back home but are only listening to their fellow buddies and their command but I cannot find it. From what I gather, the media piped to them is completely hawkish - Rush Limbaugh is a regular, Al Franken is not. I really don't believe the influence of the war protestors are driving them crazy.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've never heard such utter rubbish in my life. PTSD results from what it says - POST trauma, trauma that's already occurred in the war situation, not from when they come home. Murphy is either a total idiot, or he thinks we all are. I suppose plenty who listen are idiots, believing anything they're told.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home