Flimsy Sanity: PJ O'Rourke

Flimsy Sanity

In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Monday, January 08, 2007

PJ O'Rourke

The conservative humorist PJ O'Rourke was interviewed for three hours on Book TV over the weekend. One caller compared him to Mark Twain which I thought was ridiculous, as I have read both - less of O'Rourke. Mr. PJ thought bloggers were absurd and he also was rather smug about the fact that he wrote with a typewriter rather than a computer or word processor. If you have read any of his books, they are just hard copy blogs - essays on his own opinion that may or may not be amusing to people depending on their prejudices. How is this in any way superior to a blog, unless the criterion was payment?

As for rejecting a technology that would make your work easier, better written, less work to edit, and easy to transfer to print, well I guess that just shows a lack of common sense.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree that O'Rourke and Twain and not equals. Twain is funny because he is so accurate and O'Rourke strives to create humor by exaggeration, IMHO.

     
  • At 7:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    In my humble opinion O'Rourke is to Twain as fishpaste is to Beluga caviar - though in fairness I'm not partial to either. It's all down to individual taste, I suppose. An American once compared my writing style to Rudyard Kipling, which at the time did much to lift this White Man's Burden, until I realized he probably had a very low opinion of Kipling's work. Personally, I consider O'Rourke a pseudo-intellectual snob, but it's likely he doesn't think much of me either. In fact, there's a fair chance he doesn't think of me at all!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home