Flimsy Sanity: Apathetic Agnostic

Flimsy Sanity

In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Monday, December 25, 2006

Apathetic Agnostic

Omnipotent Poobah recently had a great entry about his own beliefs and some of the comments were interesting too.

I think the reason we tell children fairy tales is to condition them to fantasies so when we expose them to Bible stories they won't laugh in our faces. The idea that faith, instead of reasoning is a virtue is the most obscene thing I have ever heard.

As far as God goes, I don't know and neither does anyone else. I am amazed at natures vast variety. The fact that no two blades of grass are identical staggers my mind. The fact that things are light years away boggles me. I cannot understand why the sun does not burn up or that the earth's core does not cool down.

I am not impressed with mankind, however. I think nature thinks there are too many people and is doing its best to kill us off with new diseases. Of course, war helps some. Naked puny animal speciman with such a high opinion of itself thinking God looks just like him.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:55 PM, Blogger Omnipotent Poobah said…

    It's a funny thing to have mentioned children.

    I've always left the decision to my daughter. She's been to church and thinks about the existence of God. She sometimes goes to church with friends and has since a relatively young age.

    When we discuss God (and we do quite often, I try as best I can to be agnostic in my approach. I try not to emphasize or deemphasize either side of the equation, but rather try to discuss it openly and honestly with her and let her draw her own conclusions.

    I'm not foolish enough to think that she is totally independent on the subject. She is the child of an atheist, so I do set an example. But I to emphasize this...if she chooses to believe or chooses to go to church, I will support her decision, up to and including going with her.

    I think it is a pretty important decision and one she should make on her own as much as circumstances permit.

    I would be equally proud of her whether she believed or not. Whether she's the product of a mechanical marriage of seed and egg or a miracle from a God that I don't see, she's pretty remarkable and able to make her own decisions. She's as close to a miracle I've ever seen.

     
  • At 4:06 AM, Blogger Flimsy Sanity said…

    Poobah,
    Your daughter is very lucky that she is being taught to think and to look at issues from many angles.

    I wish that children were taught the wonders of nature from a very early age instead of quite so much fantasy. I think it would do them good. But then documentaries are my favorite movie genre and who am I to say what other people should enjoy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home