Flimsy Sanity: What I'm Thankful For this Thanksgiving

Flimsy Sanity

In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Thursday, November 24, 2005

What I'm Thankful For this Thanksgiving


I'm thankful I don't live in a place where I can get cholera from drinking the water, where parasitic worm diseases make my leg swell up to the size of an elephant, where I would have to wear a burqa and cannot voice my opinion, where soldiers shoot me, where I do not have enough to eat, where I do not have shelter from the frigid winter (not like earthquake victims in Pakistan), where I would have to work in a factory all day to get enough money for a meal, where disease goes untreated because of poverty, where I would never get the chance to read or write.

I do not think my luck is due to the benevolence of a god, but it is an accident of my birth. If I had never been born, that would be fine too, but since I was, thank you Mom and Dad for screwing in an advanced country.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:03 PM, Blogger Shephard said…

    Well put. I'm ever grateful I was born here, no matter who is running the country at any given point. ~S

     

Post a Comment

<< Home