Flimsy Sanity: Short Story by Tony Dige

Flimsy Sanity

In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Saturday, June 25, 2005

Short Story by Tony Dige

I went to County Market on Tuesday to do some grocery shopping. While I was in the check-out line I noticed this woman really staring at me. I asked her if something was wrong and she said, "You look just exactly like my son who was killed in a car accident about three weeks ago."

"Would you please tell me, 'I love you, Mom.'"

Feeling sorry for the poor woman, I said, "I love you, Mom."

When I got to the checkout stand the clerk rang up my purchases and told me the price was $95.85.

I said, "Ninety Five dollars and eighty five cents for some salsa and a bag of corn chips isn't right."

The clerk said, "Well, the woman ahead of you said you were her son and that you would pay for her groceries. I did hear you say 'I love you, Mom' so I assumed she was your mother."

I ran out of the store desperately looking for the woman. I saw her about to get in her car after putting her groceries in the back seat. I ran over and started pulling on her leg just like I am pulling yours.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home